Skip to main content

Viral Video of Glitter Bomb for Package Thieves Exposed as Partial Fake



#GlitterBomb #MarkRober 

Remember that viral video of the former NASA engineer who got sick and tired of people stealing his packages? He built an impressively high-tech glitter bomb to prank the thieves and even lent the sneaky invention to friends so they could do the same. Well, it turns out that some of the video was faked by his friends. And the creator, Mark Rober, has apologized for the deception. 


Note about 2 missing the reactions in the video- I was presented with information that caused me to doubt the veracity of 2 of the 5 reactions in the video.  These were reactions that were captured during a two week period while the device was at house 2 hours away from where I live.  I put a feeler out for people willing to put a package on their porch and this person (who is a friend of a friend) volunteered to help.  
To compensate them for their time and willingness to risk putting a package on their porch I offered financial compensation for any successful recoveries of the package.  It appears (and I've since confirmed) in these two cases, the “thieves" were actually acquaintances of the person helping me. 
From the footage I received from the phones which intentionally only record at specific times, this wasn’t clear to me. I have since removed those reactions from the original video (originally 6:26-7:59).  I’m really sorry about this.  Ultimately, I am responsible for the content that goes on my channel and I should have done more here. 
I can vouch for that the reactions were genuine when the package was taken from my house.  Having said that,  I know my credibly is sort of shot but I encourage you to look at the types of videos I’ve been making for the past 7 years.  
This is my first ever video with some kind of “prank" and like I mentioned in the video it’s pretty removed from my comfort zone and I should have done more.  I’m especially gutted because so much thought, time, money and effort went into building the device and I hope this doesn’t just taint the entire effort as “fake". 
It genuinely works (like all the other things I’ve built on my channel) and we’ve made all the code and build info public.  Again, I’m sorry for putting something up on my channel that was misleading.  That is totally on me and I will take all necessary steps to make sure it won’t happen again.



It’s still an impressive invention, and if you believe Rober, most of the video is still legit. But Rober understands why people may not trust him anymore.

No, this isn’t the most pressing issue of the day. The stock market is tanking, drones are shutting down airports, and the secretary of defense has resigned while more or less saying in his resignation letter that the president of the United States is a threat to national security.

But it’s still important to correct the record, especially for a video we helped spread. (We still think the tech is cool though!) Even if it’s just a glitter bomb. It just goes to show you that the most skeptical eye is often the correct one.

If it seems too good to be true, it probably is. And everything can always get worse—all great lessons as we start the new year out with a bang.

[Buzzfeed]

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

FLIGHT FACILITIES (Hugo) b2b TOUCH SENSITIVE in The Lab

#Deep_house #HouseMusic #HouseGrooves #Melodic #Electronic #djset #FlightFacilities #TouchSensitive An immaculate selection of disco and killer house grooves by Hugo (Flight Facilities) and Touch Sensitive. website: http://www.flightfacilities.com Youtube http://smarturl.it/SubscribeFF Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/flightfacilities Twitter: http://twitter.com/flightfac Soundcloud: http://soundcloud.com/flightfacilities Instagram: http://instagram.com/flightfac

Homecoming: A Film By Beyoncé | Official Trailer | Netflix

#Beyoncé, #Coachella, #Homecoming, #Netflix, This intimate, in-depth look at Beyoncé's celebrated 2018 Coachella performance reveals the emotional road from creative concept to a cultural movement. Premiering April 17. Only on Netflix. Published on Apr 8, 2019

Kate Bush, The Dreaming : A Pitchfork Review

#KateBush # WutheringHeights # Lionheart # NeverforEver #TheDreaming In 1982, Kate Bush’s daring and dense fourth album marked her transformation into a fearless experimental artist who was legible, audibly very queer, and very obviously in love with pop music. In 1978, Kate Bush first hit the UK pop charts with “Wuthering Heights” off her romantic, ambitious progressive pop debut The Kick Inside. That same year, her more confident, somewhat disappointing follow-up Lionheart and 1980’s Never for Ever had a grip of charting singles that further grew her UK success without achieving mega-stardom—she barely cracked into American college rock. What is truly amazing between the first chapter of her career and the new one that began with 1982’s The Dreaming is how consistently Bush avoided the musical world around her, preferring to hone and blend her literary, film, and musical inspirations (Elton John, David Bowie, and Pink Floyd) into the idiosyncratic perfection that was 1985’s Ho